In 2010, DePuy Orthopaedics recalled two hip replacement products – the ASR Hip Resurfacing System and the ASR XL Acetabular System – due to a high risk of complications associated with these devices. As such, if you’ve experienced a medical issue after receiving a DePuy ASR hip replacement product, you may be entitled to recover financial compensation for your damages.
An Overview of DePuy Hip Implants
The DePuy recall occurred due to new data revealing that more patients than expected suffered from pain and serious complications that required revision surgeries. The National Joint Registry of England and Wales also revealed that one in eight patients who received the recalled hip implant products required a revision surgery within five years.
Many of the problems associated with the DePuy ASR hip implants stem from the fact that it’s a metal-on-metal device. As such, it can release metal particles into the bloodstream and surrounding tissues when certain parts of the device rub together, causing a form of metal poisoning called metallosis. Not only can metallosis cause pain and swelling in the area, but it can also weaken the joint and bone. Eventually, it leads to the loosening of the implant and device failure, prompting the patient to require a complex revision surgery to replace the metal implant with one that uses plastic or ceramic surfaces. Although some patients’ symptoms will improve after the revision, others will experience ongoing pain and a permanent loss of mobility for the rest of their lives.
Common symptoms of metallosis include:
- Difficulty hearing, and in severe cases, deafness.
- Cardiomyopathy, including heart failure.
- Cognitive impairment.
- Implant loosening and noise coming from the hip.
- Skin rashes.
- Thyroid problems.
- Vision problems, and in severe cases, blindness.
Should you file a DePuy hip implant lawsuit?
Following the receipt of a DePuy hip implant, many patients have experienced devastating physical and financial challenges. A lawsuit can help you or your loved one regain what you’ve lost due to the defective product, so you can begin the process of healing your body and your life.
With that said, if you’re considering filing a lawsuit against DePuy, it’s important to take proactive steps to protect your case. Make sure you speak to a lawyer before signing anything, don’t speak to DePuy representatives without your lawyer present and don’t give away any of your evidence. If you take these steps and your case is ultimately successful, some of the damages you can recover include:
- Medical bills. A revision surgery is complex and dangerous – even more so than your primary hip replacement procedure. In addition, it can be substantially more expensive. In many cases, your damages can cover all of these expenses so you can focus exclusively on your recovery – rather than your mounting medical bills.
- Pain and suffering. It’s very common for patients to continue to struggle with physical challenges and a loss of mobility for the rest of their lives after sustaining injuries from a DePuy hip implant. In these cases, you may be compensated for any pain and suffering you’re expected to experience.
- Loss of consortium. In many cases, injuries that have occurred due to a dangerous DePuy hip implant can deprive the patient’s spouse of companionship. When this occurs, our legal team can recover compensation for these damages as well.
Schedule A Consultation
If you or a loved one have been the victim of negligence or misconduct, please do not hesitate to contact among the best attorneys Miami has available at Goldberg & Rosen today to receive expert guidance about your legal options, as well as a free and confidential case evaluation.