Hurricane Irma Spirals Towards Florida
Hurricane Irma swirled into a record-breaking Category 5 hurricane and is bearing down on Florida. While Floridians are no strangers to powerful storms, Hurricane Irma has all the markings of a perfect storm and is on track to slam into Florida’s coast, causing billions of dollars in devastating damage. The time to prepare is NOW, not when hurricane rain and winds make our streets impassable.
Goldberg & Rosen has prepared checklists to ensure that our clients are ready for the upcoming storm—both before and after the storm.
- Flashlights & extra bulbs
- Battery-operated radio
- Battery-operated lanterns
- Water (enough to last at least one week)
- Non-perishable foods, including canned foods (enough to last 5-7 days)
- Pet food for your furry friends
- First aid kit
- Duct tape
- Rain gear
- Fire extinguisher
- Can Opener
- Clean clothes
- Extra blankets
- Heavy gloves
- Extra medications for those requiring prescription medications
Prepare to File An Insurance Claim
There is nothing more disheartening then watching property be destroyed by a storm. To add insult to injury, after the storm, many insurance companies are worried about their pocketbooks, not their paying customers. We have seen these tactics by insurance companies time and time again.
Goldberg & Rosen has over 45 years of experience battling with insurance companies when they refuse to protect those who have dutifully paid their insurance premiums. The insurance company that was your best friend before the storm has now turned its back on you.
Below are some tips from Goldberg & Rosen to help secure your property with the hopes of minimizing property damages.
- Install hurricane shutters on all windows; if you don’t have shutters, consider boarding up all windows
- Place sandbags on all doorway and entryways that are susceptible to water inflow
- Clean the yard and all surrounding areas of all debris that can become airborne and cause injury to persons or damage to property, including lawn chairs, umbrellas, debris, and other miscellaneous items. Make sure all trees and shrubs are trimmed and clear rain gutters.
- If possible, secure straps or clips to securely fasten your roof to the structure of your home.
- Reinforce your garage doors.
- Most importantly, find a safe place to weather the storm. Stay tuned to all official notices and if authorities order an evacuation, begin the evacuation process.
As Irma rapidly approaches our shores, it is important to prepare to file claims for the damage that will be left behind. As we scramble to secure our property and prepare for the storm, legal issues are sometimes the last things on our mind. However, these tips from Goldberg & Rosen will ensure that once the storm passes, we can get to work for you, rebuilding, and fighting for your rights with our top Miami property damage lawyers.
- Gather and make copies of all important documents, such as titles, registrations, homeowner’s policies, auto insurance policies, flood insurance policies, travel documents, and any other original documents
- Make sure that anyone with a medical condition has extra medications and access to prescriptions, if needed
- Make a list of important phone numbers, including phone numbers of family, friends, emergency services, doctors, non-emergency services.
- DOCUMENT AND PHOTOGRAPH all personal and real property. This includes expensive personal items, fixtures (interior and exterior) and all angles of the property. Photographs are indispensable when the aftermath of the storm hits and the insurance company is dragging its feet in paying or denying the claim
Insurance companies profit when they deny claims and they often do everything they can to protect their bottom line, meaning that paying your premiums on time for decades does not guarantee you protection when you need it most. This is especially true when people try to negotiate with the claims adjuster, a hired professional.
Goldberg & Rosen has adjusters, contractors, roofers, plumbers, and other certified professionals ready to go to your property immediately after the storm to help you start the rebuilding process and to protect your legal rights when it comes to dealing with your insurance company. Call us today at (305) 374-4200 for the best Miami property damage lawyers we have to offer. We are here to help.
Please do not take this upcoming storm lightly. Prepare for the worst and remember that property is replaceable—human life is not.
Let us help
Schedule a free case review with Goldberg & Rosen in Miami to get the proper legal advice you deserve.
Free Case Review